Friday, July 30, 2010

Gelflings, Skeksis, and Mystics, oh my!

So, Tom and I were sitting on the bench at a break at work, just watching people walk by, and one of the temp maintenance guys passed by.  We both remarked on how he walks, like someone is pushing his shoulders forward and I said it reminded me of the peaceful creatures (Mystics) from The Dark Crystal.  Tom then asked how sad it was that he owns the movie, but has never seen it.  (Oddly enough, it came out the year he was born.)  I replied that we should watch it when we got home from work since that (watching a movie) is usually our routine after checking our Facebooks and stuff on the computer.  So we did.

I had forgotten how unbelievable cheesey that movie is.  At the time, back in '82, it was a WONDERFUL movie, very innovative with the imagination and puppetry from the great Jim Henson.  Unfortunately, we are so spoiled in this generation of high-tech movie-making, that watching one of my favorite movies was (I think) a let-down for Tom.  He fell asleep.  :-)  I, on the other had, enjoyed it, even though I was annoyed with how ghey Jen was.  I never really noticed that back in the day.  I still love those darned Skeksis and their vulture-like countenances, especially the RIDICULOUS Chamberlain SkekSil and  his crazy "Mmmm-MMM-mmmm" sounds.  (My mom and I still occasionally make this noise when around each other and being silly.)  I love the Mystics and their low hum-thing that they do.  I really love the loud and boisterous Aughra (who reminds me of someone, an older actress... Grace Zabriskie - you might recognize her from TheGrudge as Emma , but Aughra also reminds me of Master Yoda with the way she talks).  Anyway... yeah, I enjoyed watching the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment